Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Darnton & Bettelheim

In reading both texts, I found myself actually agreeing with Bettelheim's statements more than Darnton's. While Darnton does make very valid points, I found that Battelheim's made more sense to me. I don't think, however, that you have to necessarily take a side in the debate. The two perspectives can complement each other. If you want to focus on the childhood aspect of fairy tales, then look at Bettelheim's essay and then as you progress toward the adulthood aspect, take a look at Darnton's essay.

Perhaps I liked Bettelheim's essay more because his perspective is the way I've always looked at fairy tales, as a positive influence in the upbringing of children and in my own childhood. Every child grew up having heard at least one fairy tale and to say that the child wasn't influenced by it in some way is something that I, personally, can not fathom. Many lessons we are supposed to know about morals, ethics, and life were taught in fairy tales. Although many folk fairy tales are outdated or a bit inappropriate by today's standards, there are still many good lessons in the stories and those are the lessons children notice.

Darnton, on the other hand, also made many valid points especially concerning the way adults view fairy tales when reflecting on them. While fairy tales did seem innocent enough growing up, it is once you re-read them as an adult that they become "questionable." When most children read these stories growing up, however, they don't see the questionable or outlandish views an adult can take when reading the stories. "Little Red Riding Hood" isn't about sexuality to a child, it's about not talking to strangers. I see where Darnton is coming from and it does make sense, but I agree with Battleheim more.

1 comment:

  1. I think the reason that some of these tales seem "questionable" to us as adults is because we are now conscious of things that just seeped into our unconscious as a child. We never really question the setting or reality of the tale itself, but the symbolism is just more apparent. If Darnton was a psychoanalyst, he might have considered the fact that overlapping symbols and motifs in tales explain the progression of the unconscious thoughts... but now manifested in the storytellers.

    ReplyDelete